Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Belated 1 Year Obligatory Post

I'm not sure if secretly there was some part of me that just did NOT want write a 1 year post. I can't believe it's been 1 year. I can't believe we have made it through 1 year. I can't believe it's been 1 year. I feel like there will be some "end" point. It's not logical but sometimes I still think this will all just go away. She has diabetes. No! Just kidding! She's fine! Crazy thinking but sometimes it still feels like this isn't really our lives. She just has it a "little bit". Not like other T1s we meet, right?

In all seriousness, it's amazing to think about how much has changed in 1 year.
  • Last year, on January 8th, we were home from the hospital scared out of our minds. 
  • Last year, we were all sick with ear infections, bronchitis, strep, and Alex had mono (though we didn't know that yet at the time). 
  • Last year, every single finger stick was an exercise in pain and patience as Alex screamed through EACH AND EVERY ONE. And we sucked at it too. Sometimes it could take multiple pokes to get blood.
  • Last year, we fumbled through shots and struggled to count the carbs.
  • Last year, the minute we saw 90 on the meter we started to panic.
  • Last year, I thought we'd never eat out again.
  • Last year, I thought we'd never sleep again. Alex woke up for every blood sugar check at night crying.
It's a new year.
  • This year my daughter does all of her own finger pokes and doesn't bat an eye over it. 
  • This year we've been thankful enough to have few illnesses and none that have stuck around for very long or had a terrible impact on her diabetes (scared to write that one and jinx us!)
  • This year her blood work was normal at her annual check. No high cholesterol. No problems with Vitamin D levels. No celiac. All normal.
  • This year, we have an insulin pump and it has been an absolute miracle to us as far as making life as normal as it could possibly be living with diabetes. No more syringes and insulin vials to tote everywhere and then inject out at restaurants, etc. where you get strange stares.
  • This year, we panic when we see something under 60 on the meter and I wouldn't call it panic really - just high alert. 40s are more like panic. Thankful that doesn't happen a ton!
  • This year, I sent an email to Alex's new volleyball coach emphasizing snacks at games are fine and there is nothing special that needs to be prepared for her. Homemade snacks are fine too. We can wing it with the carbs. We've gotten decent at that! Eating out is more cumbersome than before diabetes but we don't shy away from it.
  • This year, we are sleeping again. It probably won't ever be as peaceful as it was before diabetes. But it isn't terrible. We get up once a night to check her and I usually can go back to sleep quickly unless she is low and I've been up for a bit fighting a low. And, Alex almost never wakes up when I check her at night.  I can poke her in the pitch black dark of the house and use the meter light only to draw the blood. She never even moves usually.

No comments:

Post a Comment