Thursday, July 12, 2012

When you're high you're low and when you're low, you're high...huh?

So I've noticed what I guess would be a "trend". It appears that when Alex is extremely happy, she is more susceptible to being low. When Alex is extremely unhappy, she is more susceptible to being high. Case in point...

Happy and low...
The happiest I've seen Alex since diabetes came into the picture would be from her Camp AZDA adventure a few weeks ago.
She is still talking about camp and anticipating next year's trip. While at camp, she had many lows, including a scary little 28 during a movie night. I'm secretly glad she didn't throw that number up at home. I probably would have been in complete panic mode.

The second happiest I've seen Alex would be this past weekend at the American Girl Place in California.

That trip went WAY better than the Idaho trip though and I give alot of credit to little miss Animas Ping. Life just isn't all about needles anymore and it's been so so awesome. But back to the topic...on the way to California, Alex was in the backseat and said she felt low. She tested and sure enough was 59. She came up though with a little sugar and life moved on. Then, the morning of the big visit to the store she woke up at 74. This NEVER happens. Again, not a scary low so we moved on with some breakfast. But that same day produced the scariest low I've seen to date. After about 6 hours in the store, it was time to go. We were both drained. Her numbers had been fairly normal all day with exception to that wake up number. We got in the car and hit the LA freeways at rush hour. I was by myself and trying to navigate the crazy drivers, the many freeways, and a strange new route to a new hotel for the night. Alex fell asleep. Something didn't sit well with me. After a little bit I called her name and she half wake up. She said she didn't feel good and I told her to test. She was 49. She was shaking. I was stuck in the passing lane of like a 5 lane freeway full of angry aggressive drives and no where to go. I told her to start chewing some gummy candies in her pouch. She asked how many and I said it didn't matter. Just get them in her mouth. She was in the 70s about 15 minutes later in above 80 when we pulled over finally. She shook and looked rather pale and sick for about 45 minutes while I tried to hurry and check us into the hotel room. She came up and all was well.

Stressed and high...
Contrast those lows to the many times Alex is running high...I admit as sweet as Alex can be...she can also be highly stressed out and anxious. She was diagnosed with anxiety disorder a few years ago after many crazy panic freak out sessions involving public toilets and some advice from a school teacher. She just has a hard time with anything new or not routine. We have attempted some modified behavior therapy with her (through counseling) and opted not to medicate. I'm not opposed to medication. I'm opposed to it being the first resort. Most of the time we can reason with her. Most of the time she is as normal as any other kid. We prefer to downplay her anxieties and reason with her. It usually works with alot of patience. Anyway, so much stresses my sweet girl out. And diabetes is stressful even if you don't have an anxiety disorder. I really ask God quite a bit as to why give an anxious child an anxiety producing illness? Really? So she tends to run high quite a bit at home and out in public when she is not totally absorbed in something she considers highly exciting.

If only we could go to the American Girl store everyday...

No comments:

Post a Comment